For the first time in a long time I have been rewatching the 1972 sci-fi classic “Silent Running”.
Unfortunately, the more often I watch it, the less sense it seemes to make:
- How can the crew have been onboard the Valley Forge for 6 months, if a trip to Saturn takes between 3 and 6 years?
- In what kind of scenario does it make sense to move plants onto a fleet of space ship and move them through the solar system?
- Why are the domes jettisoned and detroyed and not simply left in space?
- Why do all the freighters just happen to have a large amount of nuclear detonators on board?
- Why does the top notch botanist not realize that the plants are dying because of a lack of sun light?
- Why are the bio domes close to Saturn and not in orbit around earth anyway?
- Most of the crew, as well as ground control, show a total disregard for nature. Why do they try to save plants in the first place?
- If the last plants on earth are blown up without a second of doubt, why is a major rescue mission started for one survivor?
Having said all that, the model work in the movie is top notch. Especially the datails in the jettison scenes are impressive.